About the museum

 

Aguélimuseet opened in 1962. In 1987 the new library was built and connected to the refurbished old bath house, where the museum opened. The museum moved to its current location in 2007, which is the old electric plant from 1903.

The permanent collection that constitutes the core of the museum was assembled by Dr. Carl Friberg, an art lover and collector. Dr. Friberg’s collection is the largest Aguéli collection in Sweden, but it also contains art works by several other artists from the 20th Century.

Aguélimuseet is run by Sala Art Society, which is a non-profit organization. Sala Art Society was founded in 1941 and the Director of the Board was Dr. Friberg.
 
 
 

Dr. Friberg’s Art Collection

 

The Friberg collection was donated to the National Museum after the passing of Dr. Friberg in 1949. In accordance with the will the collection is deposited at Aguélimuseet in Sala. The collection contains 32 paintings and 11 sketches by Ivan Aguéli.

Besides the artwork by Ivan Aguéli the collection contains many other artists contemporary with Aguéli, such as Karl Nordström, prins Eugen, Sven X:et Erixon, Carl Milles, Helmer Osslund, Stellan Mörner, Vera Nilsson, Carl Wilhelmson, Yngve Berg, Hugo Zuhr, Edvard Munch, Karl Isakson, Helene Schjerfbeck, Leander Engström, Carl Kyhlberg and Maj Bring.
 
 
 

Kulturkvarteret Täljstenen

 

Aguélimuseet is located in the cultural quarter Täljstenen. The permanent collection is on display at the museum and adjacent to the museum is a kunsthalle for temporary exhibitions.

Comments are closed.